The Homes of the Sailing Ship Owners


Plaque put up in 1986 to let tourists know that the building was owned by ship owners in the 18th century. The wealth of the ship owners is displayed by the grandness of the building.

Date: 1986

Plaque reads: Tyne and Wear County Council. 1986. Sailing Ship Owners. Throughout the age of sail, this Quayside area around Exchange Buildings (c.1861) was home to Newcastle’s ship owners, including such men as R. Beckwith, H. Milvain and T. Miller. City of Newcastle upon Tyne.