The Swing Bridge


The Swing Bridge was built on the sites of the Old Tyne Bridges, and was completed in 1876. It was designed and paid for by William Armstrong, who wanted to allow larger ships along the River Tyne than the Old Tyne Bridge could allow, so that they could reach his works. Today it still allows ships to sail conventiently along the River Tyne, whilst also connecting Newcastle to Gateshead.

Date: 1876

Group name: Dylan